Sunday, January 6, 2008

Top 5 songs of the 90's And a Few Other Things to do With Music

Last night was a late night..I mean really late, like going to bed at 3 am late. That's because we tuned into VH1's Top 100 songs of the 90's countdown. We came in about half way, and since Tom has no control when it's a VH1 countdown special, we watched the whole thing all the way to number one.

This was an interesting program, especially for me. You see, dear readers, until I was in the sixth grade I didn't know there was such thing as FM radio or Rock Bands. I was led to believe there was only AM talk radio or rock and roll records from the 50's and early 60's. The Beach Boys were my favorite band, followed closely by The Carpenters. That Karen sang like an angel! Little by little I figured out how wide open the music world was by listening to Debbie Gibson and Tiffany. Boy could they sing! I remember the first time I heard Paula Abdul. I was on the Synchronized swimming team at Kino pool and we preformed a routine to her song "Forever Your Girl". I fell in love! I don't think Paula had any songs in the countdown.

Tom claims he bought the single to the song "Shine". "Oh, was it a good CD?" I asked. He laughed and told me it wasn't the CD, but the tape. Oh how that brought me back. I remembered my first tape...I was going to Smitty's (the local all purpose Target of Mesa) and was going to buy myself a Beach Boys tape. Yes, I am totally lame, I know, but I really wanted their California Girls song for myself so I wouldn't have to beg my friend to let me listen to her album on her Holly Hobby record player! They didn't have the tape I wanted so I decided to get the "Pet Shop Boys" tape instead. Even though I'd never heard of the group I figured a group with a sweet name like that had to sing totally cute songs! My Mom wouldn't let me get the tape of a group she didn't know. I was sad, but quickly realized I'd rather have Tiffany's new tape, Hold an Old Friends Hand, so I got that instead.

Does any one remember how cool it was to have one of those state of the art tape decks in your car. You know the ones that you can fast forward, or rewind but it will automatically stop when it comes to a new song. That was great! No more coming in half way through my favorite Eagles song. Oh no, from there on out we started at the beginning of the song. That was some amazing technology. My family suburban "Polly Pollution" had a tape deck like that. It was pure bliss until the said Eagles tape become permanently wedged in the tape player. From there on out it was "Tequila Sunrise" everyday until my littlest brother Dallin took over the vehicle and spray painted a skull and cross bones on the tailgate and upgrades all of us to the a CD player.

When my sister Kori and I were in high school CD's had just started to become available. She and I went to the store one day to buy a Reba album. Instead of getting the CD she opted for the tape. I asked her why didn't she start getting CD's instead. She told me, and I quote "CD's are a fad, they won't last". It was probably a year or so later that she relented and admitted that CD's were indeed here to stay!

Now Here it is, the moment you have all been waiting for...the top five songs of the 90's!!!

#5 Madonna "Vogue"- I didn't think that was even close to being as good as the song she wrote for "League of Their Own", "This Use To be Our Playground". That is a great song, heartfelt, real, and tender, like you've never seen Madonna before, until she adopted that kid from Africa.

#4 Whitney Houston "I Will Always Love You". Yes, the song from the Kevin Costner film. There is no way on earth that song deserves to be in the top 5! She is totally lame in every way, including that song she ripped off from Dolly Parton!

#3 Back Street Boys "I Want It That Way"- I guess I can agree with this one. Not only do they have some amazing arm dancing ( I think I might have spotted "spirit fingers") it does define a whole generation of teenie boppers. Plus you know when you hear it on the radio you don't change the station, you sing along and muse "what is 'His' way?"

#2 U2 "One"- I've heard this song is about a Mormon girl Bono wanted to marry. She wouldn't marry him unless it was in the Temple. Proof of the truth of this rumor lies in the lyrics "love is a temple, Love, the higher law". Yeah, sounds like the Temple to me. (Are Mormons really this lame that we have to do this to all celebrities...Steve Martin is not a Mormon, neither is Prince..Paul Walker is!)

#1 Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit"- I didn't know who this band was until after this guy died. This song disgusts me..remember girls of the 90's, the deodorant brand called "Teen Spirit"? I do, and that's all I can think about when I hear that song....smelly, berry scented, sweaty under arms. That's gross.

I wonder..who is it exactly that gave this program the authority to proclaim the top 100 songs of the 90's? Most of my favorites weren't even included. Maybe that means I'm not nearly as cool as I hoped I was. That's okay, I'd rather hear "California Girls" then a Marky Mark song any day.
P.S. Tom just informed me this was voted on by the people..people who have nothing else to do except listen to old Vanilla Ice tracks all day.

10 comments:

Jodiane said...

i laughed, i felt like our minds were in sync. i laughed again. i felt in sync with tom and feeling powerless to abandon the count down show... and then i laughed. you are too descriptive... can we write a book together. PLEASE.

Erica said...

You are so freaking hilarious! I still get excited when I hear the Beach Boys. However, I am curious to know where Vanilla Ice landed on the countdown, because he was quite essential in my formative years. As was NKOTB (oh yes, I am that awesome). And Madonna. Except I agree, Vogue was one of her more boring songs if you ask me. Like a Virgin seems far more fitting in the top spot. And unfortunately, I was a large grungy Nirvana fan. On occassion, Allen and I still rock out to Teen Spirit. Seriously, who else puts together lyrics like "a mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido"...can it really get better than that?

Ted & Patty said...

love it! love it! love your blog! love you! Missed you at Christmas!

Sommer said...

This brought back so many memories... thank you Jenny! My first tape, Debbie Gibson. First CD, Wilson Phillips. Oh, how I loved Smitty's and their swirl ice cream cones!

Jess said...

My first tape ever was Tiffany (the self-titled album). I don't really agree with those top 5 songs, but I'll probably TiVo that special now. Fun post!

blah, blah by lindsey said...

those vhl countdowns are the devil, the take forever and i very rarely agree with the end result. although i do have to admit seeing the stuff inbetween is fun. i remember mine and brooke's first tape. brooke's was madonna and mine was whitney houston. we had pictures of them on our closet door.

Rhett, Angie, and Rion said...

Holy Crap!! You know allot about 90's music! I always thought I knew my fair share about music, but know I feel completely lost! Maybe I'll have to take some lessons from you to get cought back up. Ha Ha JK

Chris said...

I watched the first episode (100-81) and then was so excited for the countdown while talking on the phone with my at the time long distance wifey that I found the results online, which ruined the prospects of sitting through the whole thing now that I knew what number one was. Oh, sure, I still watched 20-1, but not the other three hours.

Teen Spirit as #1 is clearly correct. Oh, and Paula Abdul, Like a Virgin, etc.-- lots of those are from the 80's. Now I feel old.

I read that there was a list of like 300 songs and VH1 had everyone choose them, but it is apparent that they only allowed one song per artist (which is lame, as Ironic by Alanis was HUGE) and that there were some egregious omissions (No Rain by Blind Melon, Hey Jealousy, others I can't think of off the top of my head)

Man, I love me VH1 countdown shows.

Dene' said...

I LOVE YOU JENNY. YOU ARE HILARIOUS. PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T EVER STOP BLOGGING (even if it might be a fade- (smile)). THEY MAKE MY DAY! WE MISS YOU GUYS
this does NOT count as emailing you back. I will do that very soon.

Ashleigh and Zebb said...

See I get the same way with show's like that...that's why I love the tivo aka DVR. record watch later, no commercials just fast forward. Wow the 90's are awesome! ha I love the count down shows!!