Friday, May 2, 2008

American Idol

The good thing about Tuesday's performances by the top 5 was that it actually made me feel not so bad about our Neil Diamond talent show medley. What I think the top 5 didn't understand about Neil Diamond week is that you don't just SING Neil, you PERFORM Neil Diamond. Neil himself isn't even really a singer, he's the man that write the songs. No one ever listens to Neil and thinks, "Damn, he sings like an Angel". Heck no, they think "great song. Who's the creepy voice singing it?" Anyone who has seen a Neil Diamond live sing "Desiree" or "Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon" has got to admit that his creepy voice it what holds us to his music. And he performes the heck out of his songs, that's where the magic is. I personally have not seen Neil Diamond live, but I've seen Tom impersonate him enough and I think I've got a pretty good idea. As if that wasn't enough I've also seen "Saving Silverman" a few times. How could I not, it's a wonderful tribute to a wonderful artist.

Let's do a quick run down of what I remember...

Jason sang "Forever in Blue Jeans". Did he smoke out prior to this performance? He was way to chill, don't be chill when singing Neil Diamond. Frankly, he lacked passion and he made me forget that I love this song. His second song was forgettable, however, I do remember that it made me feel like I was at an open air restraunt on Maui with a soft breeze blowing. Not exactly a song that had an WoW factor, which he needed after his first song.

Brooke sang "I'm a Believer". I love Brooke, I think her sound is so fun and cool, but it didn't work with this song. Not only do we all remember it from the Shrek soundtrack but she was way too cute and happy while singing. Neil is never too cute or happy while singing. She needed to be uglier to pull this off, or wear hot pink sequins. Her second song, I thought was amazing. She made me believe in this song. I felt she did a great job of connecting with the lyrics. Maybe it was when she changed the lyrics to "I'm Arizona born and raised" that I really started to believe that she believed in this song. Like a drifter she is caught between two shores. Arizona raised girl to girl, I know just how she feels.

David Cook sang I'm Alive. He did well. He is creepy enough to pull off any Neil Diamond song, but seemed to be afraid to really take it on. His second song was good. It didn't blow my socks off, but it was the best showing of the night. He deserves to make it to the end, even though he is smug, he did rock Billie Jean a few weeks ago.

Syesha. I can't stand Syesha. She did a great job on "Hello", but totally blackified "I Thank The Lord for the Night Time". Why must African American singers always do this? Take a wonderful song and turn it into Aretha Franklin? I had enough of that last season, I can't stand another second. She would do well on Broadway, I give her props for that.

And now let's talk about David Archuletta. Am I the only one who can't stand this kid? Yes, he can sing, but it's what he sings that I have a problem with. Give him his own Disney Channel show for crying out loud, he's just begging for it. It could come on right after Hannah Montana. I don't remember what he sang first, but he probably butchered it like he did "Remember Me Fondly" on Andrew Loyd Weber night, and made it sound like it was a "Little Mermaid" soundtrack song. His second song, Coming to America, which he obviously picked because he liked the message and because his Mom was lucky enough to score a Missionary serving in her country and brought her to America, was so boring. I'd much rather hear Tom's rendition, which was much more colorful and creepy, just the way Neil Diamond should be.

I was sad that Brooke got the boot on Tuesday, but it was a long time coming. Now if we can only band together and get ride of Syesha and then David Archuletta. The kids young, he wants to go back to Utah and attend Prom with his little girlfriend. Being the American Idol is only going to mess him up and make him into another Donny Osmond. Do we really need another Donny Osmond in the world?

10 comments:

Kasey said...

I second David for sure! I really think you should have to be 18 or older to be on Idol. If they are good at 16, they'll be just as good as 18, when they have graduated and have some facial hair.

Anonymous said...

I totally disagree Jenny! I think Jason should go long before Syesha or David. I can't stand looking at his greasy hair and his half closed eyes. Although David A. always closes his eyes when he sings, but he doesn't look high as a kite when he does it. As for David Cook, I can't stand the smug SOB. He's his own biggest fan. I was sad to see Brooke go but seriously, she was picking the worst songs for her voice. She would have gone way further if she picked better songs. Does anyone else feel as dorky as I do getting all worked up over American Idol?

Anonymous said...

Oops I forgot to put my name on my comment. Hey girl!

anderson.fam said...

Jen, alls I can say is "money talks but it don't sing and dance." And yes, David is fired like a heart attack.

BreAnna said...

Ohhh Brooke got voted off? I didn't know, but I came here first for my American Idol run down! I have to say I don't know enough to say who is picking good and bad songs but I love reading your posts about American Idol. Have a good day, I haven't seen you for awhilek, hope all is well.

Naomi said...

Right with you girl. Well, we've talked about Archuleta so you know how I feel about that, he just creeps me out. Ummmm, sad to see Brooke go, I really liked her, but do agree that she wasn't getting any better and it was her time to go. David Cook has done some really amazing renditions of songs but he is too full of himself. So really at this point I don't even think I have a favorite . . . She just left the show! :(

Love your Idol insights. You should really be a columnist!

Maile said...

Great assessment of last week's show! I love Brooke's sound, but the last few weeks I have not loved her performances. Finally the Brooke I love was back with I am I said, but too late - and I've felt for the last few weeks like she really wanted to be sent home. But I also agree with the other commenter that Jason should go. And, yes, I also feel dorky about getting so worked up over this show. My husband does not get it.

[dene'] said...

...ok, Jenny...now tell me what you REALLY think. [smile]. I enjoyed your rendition of Neil week. I think you were right-on.
... My two cents....I love David Cook! I think everyone who thinks he is smug and too into himself don't get it. What would they rather have... David A. who acts unnaturally humble? Ah, how about NO. All "stars" have to be somewhat into themselves.
Does everyone already forget the tear Cook shed a few weeks back? Com'on people. He's got talent and is confident, so what! A person who can rewrite the songs the way he does and make them new and fresh...I think people don't like him because he stands out of the competition. Kind of like everyone secretly hates the pretty/popular girl.

{How did I do Jenny? I tried not to hold anything back. smile}

Melissa Moss said...

You daughter is so cute! I think I am finally back in the blogging world, it is always good to hear what you are doing!

Amy said...

Definately should get together sometime. I'm glad you're out this way too. You'll have to show me around because it's crazy to try and navigate this area. Nothing like AZ. I'll get your contact info from Christine or you can get mine from her.