Thursday, June 5, 2008

Our New Addition

This is such exciting news, I can hardly stand it. In just a few short days I will be making the trip to Arizona to go pick up the newest addition to our family (drum roll please) a new-to-us car! It will be great to see family and friends. I managed to get my brother Tyler to fly home with me to help on the plane. He just came home from Afghanastan and is on leave for the month. He wanted to come visit us anyway and the timing worked perfectly. (As a side note, if anyone has any single sisters, friends etc. that are into blind dates, my brother is single, 25 years old, returned missionary and active church member who doesn't get the chance to be around a lot of girls since he is in the military).

As exciting as this new addition is, it's got me a bit worried. First of all, the roads in Jersey City, are really difficult to drive, crazy intersections, lights, and traffic. Second, it's been about two years since I have had to drive. True, I have rented a car twice in the last couple of months but those experiences didn't turn out too well.

The first time I rented the car was to go to my Ob appointment in Hackensack. Hackensack is about 16 miles away, and I had never driven. Well, I hadn't ever driven anywhere in Jersey or NY for that matter. I left an hour plus early, giving me plenty of time to find my way if I became lost. It took me two hours! That's because I made a wrong turn onto a crazy turnpike and ended up going the wrong way. Luckily, the doctors office allowed me to come in over an hour late.

The second time I rented the car was much, much worse. I got the car the day before and decided to do some grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. Once again, I had never driven there but I knew the way since I'd been along on Trader Joe outings with a friend. We had rented a brand new Ford Focus. They handed over the keys and told me to enjoy and let them know what I thought since it still had that new car smell, and just 19 miles on it. As I was driving to Trader Joes I passed the entrance and started to panic (I'd never been pass the Trader Joe's, who knew what was on the other side!). After driving for about a mile I didn't see anywhere to turn around, then I saw an opening in traffic and decided to execute a U turn (are they illegal in New Jersey?). My last car the Toyota Echo, could turn on a dime and u turns were simple as the turning radius of the car was amazing, but that's what you get with a Toyota, and this was a Ford. There was a bus about a hundred yards away, I figured I had plenty of room. Well, I ended up misjudging the turning radius of the Ford. There was no way to make the U turn without either backing up or going up in the curb. Since I saw the bus behind me I decided to gun the engine and go up on the curb (I'd done this lots before with no problems...unless you think missing hubcaps is a problem). I hit the curb hard but made the turn. About a minute later I realized something was horribly wrong. Luckily there was a gas station just ahead so I pulled in. I got out of the car and saw that I had managed to blow the tire completely! I was horrified, and of course have no idea how to change a tire (that's what boyfriends and husbands are for, right?). Some nice men at the gas station put on the spare for me...and then charged me 20 bucks for their kindness! I was all shaken up after that but still went to Trader Joe's, where I lost the keys to the car while Haylie was locked inside. I found the keys, the key ring broke while I was putting away the cart, on the ground and all was well, but it was a super scary day. I'm worried things like that are going to happen all the time now!

I am glad to be getting a car. If I just had the one child I could get by for the next year or so walking everywhere, but with another one on the way, it just wasn't as doable as I would like, especially with doctor appointments. It will be nice to know I can go to the hospital with out waking up Naomi or Dawnell when the time comes.

9 comments:

Dawnell said...

I'd let you wake me up when the baby comes. But I am happy for you to have a car.

blah, blah by lindsey said...

ya a new used car! i love those! so exciting that you are coming down to visit

Naomi said...

Oh my word! I hadn't even heard of your awful car experiences. I think once I got home I'd probably think twice about leaving again. LOL. Hopefully your new to you car comes with a bit of luck and you'll love having it. Oh, and you can always call me no matter the time if you need anything. Especially if a babe is coming! Hope your flight goes well for you and so glad you have your brother to help you out.

*julie* said...

Ha Ha, I shouldn't expect any less from you Jen!! Those car stories are hilarious, but hooray for your own set of wheels again! It's too bad you can't call your girls up in the middle of the night now - that could have made for another exciting story :) Although that's not to say that something exciting still couldn't happen!

Elise said...

Congrats on the car! It was good seeing you last night--it's been a really long time.

Carol said...

man you dont have good driving stories at all. and i must have missed a post somewhere cause i had no idea you were pregnant - CONGRATULATIONS!!! oh yes, and congrats on the new car :)

Erica said...

Congrats!! I loved your car stories...is that morbid? I mean, I care for your safety, and since I know you're safe, I can think they are really fabulous, right? You'll get use to the crappy driving fast...and now I am just as crappy as the rest. I love cutting people off and running red lights. I feel so Jersey.

Ashleigh and Zebb said...

Hey way to leave me out of the loop unless I totally missed that post, I had no idea you were pregnant and I was just talking to Lonnie about babies the other day and he didn't even tell me!

I would be scared to drive around there too! ha. but you'll be a pro before you know it! You'll know that city like the back of your hand!

Crazymamaof6 said...

HOLY COW! scary driving. it will be better in your own car. and with your own keys. WHOOHO! so fun you came up to me and said Hi! i'm so glad you did. hope you are having a fun trip here !