Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"Do you Mind?"

Tom and I are geeks. Sunday afternoon, just several hours before our plane is scheduled to take off, we decided that we no longer wanted to fly. No, we wanted to drive.
Since we don't own a car, this idea was something of a long shot. It meant we actually had to buy a car to make the drive. One would think that may have deterred us from the idea. You would be wrong. We decided to go to the dealership and find a car that very second. We were very specific in which vehicle we wanted. Either a Honda Element, a Scion (I don't know which model, but the one the looks boxy), or a Toyota Yarius. Turns out we couldn't afford any of the vehicles we insisted we had to have, unless we didn't want to eat on a regular basis. As you can imagine, we ended up on our flight after all.
Every few months we go through this. We think we can't live another day without a car. So we get really excited and start looking, only to be smacked in the face by reality. After spending our last precious Arizona hours looking for a car, that we didn't end up buying Tom and I started to praise the freedom of not owning a car. This is a typical Tom/Jenny cycle. We claim we need a car, we get excited thinking about all of things we can do if we have a car (roadtrips, going to church, grocery shopping at the nice store, etc), We go to a dealership, look at a few cars, do the math, realize we can't afford a car, walk back home, talk the whole way home about how we "didn't really want a car anyway". The "we didn't really want a car anyway" phase last the longest. After we realize we can't afford a car, we feel kind of sad but are able to be buoyed up after the pep talk we give each other by telling each other all of the things we can either do or get if we don't get a car. So by the time we walk home we don't feel bad at all because each of us is thinking about what we are going to buy with the money we didn't spend.
Now that we are back, it's nice to be in our own house. However, I did have a rude awakening upon our return. I had to go to Manhattan to get some things for Haylie. I took the subway. Usually the subway is crowded, and you end up holding on to a poll, with several other people. It's normal, you get use to touching and being touched by people you normally wouldn't associate with. So I'm on my way back from Whole Foods, with two very full/heavy bags. I get on to the train, and it's quite full, so I weave my way over to a semi uncrowded area and get comfortable, standing up with one hand gripping the poll and a grocery bag. The other bag is cloth and I managed to sling it over my shoulder along with my purse. I'm standing there minding my own business when I see a woman giving me dirty looks. I glance over at her and notice that one of my bags is every so slightly touching her. She turns to me (she is wearing all black, and sunglasses, almost a little bit like that girl from Matrix) and in a bitchy voice says "Do you mind?". What?! Do I mind? I should have lashed back with some witty retort, but I was tired from the long flight, so I just shifted the bag away from her. But the whole time I was angry, thinking of what I should have said! Who the heck was she, if you can't handle being touched accidentally on the train, maybe she should have splurged for a taxi, or hired a car service. Do I mind, heck yes I mind!

7 comments:

Sheena Larkin said...

What a welcome home, aren't you glad to be back with all the rude people of NY? I would have done the same thing. I always think I'm brave but then I never end up saying anything ... maybe next time.

Dawnell said...

I wonder what job she has that she never has to ride the subway during rush hour so she can afford the luxury of never being touched. Don't feel bad you didn't say anything. One day she'll "Do you mind" the wrong person and get her a** kicked.

BreAnna said...

always nice to get back into the city, we sure missed you. Hope you had a great vacation.

[dene'] said...

Jenny you are a hoot. We can so relate about the "car cycle". TK has me on such a tight budget that when I find change it's a day to splurge and buy a treat with the kids. OK, so I am exaggerating a bit. He just keeps reminding me it won't be like this forever. I feel your pain girl. Yeah, what's up with rude people in NY. My one experience there, a lady rudely asked, "What are you laughing at?" Yeah, not you! I don't know how you do it. You're my hero. I bet it is bitter sweet to be back. Welcome Home!

blah, blah by lindsey said...

gotta love the subway. i spent 45 minutes going the wrong way. i got off the train panicking and this really nice lady came up and helped me find which train i was supposed to be on. then i spent another 45 minutes going the correct way. i was so scared, i thought i was gonna get robbed or something. didn't i mention i had a broken foot on that trip, ya good times.

Jellybean babies said...

I think cars are ridiculous money pits. Why would you want one when you have the fantastic Subway system? I miss you guys! Tom said I would miss Haylie the most.....it's true, but only by a tiny margin. Come back soon!

Bryan, Mary, Abby & Lorin said...

I agree that people get a little too "my space" particular on the subway. Really ... there isn't room on the subway to be particular. I would have been doing the same thing Jenny. I think my favorite is when there is obviously enough room to squeeze just one more person on the bench, but yet the people choose not to make it a space and then leave about 9 people wishing that one of them was able to sit down and create a little breathing room in the standing area.

But oh well, and your car stories are hilarious!