Tuesday, October 28, 2008


If you look at these pictures of Haylie and think to yourself "Gee whiz, Haylie's bangs sure are short. I wonder if she cut them herself". You would almost be right.

Haylie's hair was getting long, especially her bangs. I was actually pretty pleased about that because I had cut them a couple of months back and they were way too short. I vowed that I would not attempt to cut them myself again.

One day out of the blue, Tom mentioned that he thought Haylie's bangs were becoming shaggy and he wanted to cut them. I told him it wasn't such a good idea. "Cuting bangs is alot harder than you think", I said. To which he replied (and this is a standard Tom reply to most things) "even a monkey-retard could do it". I implored him to please whatever he did, don't cut her bangs.

I thought he was going to respect my request. Then one evening Haylie came running out of her bath with Tom right behind her. "I cut her bangs" he said. "They are a little shorter than I thought they would be, but I think it'll be fine." . Since I had told him that it would not turn out well and he did it anyway there wasn't much left for me to say except "sure". He went ahead and put Haylie to bed with her hair wet. A couple of hours later she woke up. Tom went into get her. I could hear him laughing. He called me in to show me Haylie's bangs. It actually did look like a "monkey-retard" cut it. It looked so ridiculous that I laughed until tears were streaming down my face.

As most bang cutters know when you cut bangs wet they will be much shorter once they have dried. That's what makes it so tricky for a non professional hair cutter to do. And although I did my best to explain that to Tom he just wouldn't listen. He learned the hard way.

The next day he took her into a salon to get her hair cut. His hopes were they would be able to even it out a bit an make it look better. When he took her in he was too embarrassed to tell them he was the one who made her look that way and blamed it on his wife! What!?

I don't think he will be attempting to cut her hair again. By the way he isn't allowed to give me highlights either as the one time I let him do it (to save money) he botched it. Of course it ended up costing way more to have it fixed than it would have to just had it done well the first time. Some lessons are only learned the hard way, even a "monkey-retard" knows that!


6 comments:

Lulu said...

we all learn from our mistakes.
i did the exact same thing with nina. haylie looks adorable though. so no worries about that.

Naomi said...

This makes me laugh so hard because Chad and I just went through this on Sunday morning. It wasn't bangs though but it was Edyn's long hair. So he knows I only wanted to cut a couple of inches off and what does he do . . . cuts like 5-6 inches off when she gets out of the bath! Oh, I was so mad and continued to give him the evil eye all through church. I just keep telling myself that it will grow. I know, it's silly! Cute pic of Haylie with Tom. I just love her little hat!

Great Scott's! said...

Oh Haylie looks so cute anyways, luckily her face is a chubby, cute factory so she is totally pulling it off. It's fun to read your blog Jen I always laugh, especially when you include Tom quotes, I always shake my head and laugh... Tom is always true to form. I love and miss you guys tons, great post.

Lacey said...

Seriously I was rolling on the floor laughing reading your story!! Cutting bangs is truly a pain in the rear even if you ARE a professional hair dresser. I believe Tom deserves an I told you so and perhaps you should botch his hair up something awful and see how he likes it!! Who's the monkey-retard now?!?
Also I LOVED your baby daddy story..Hilarious!! What did he really expect you to say to that? "No she doesn't have a baby daddy, you want the job?" Puhlease.Don't waste our time, impala driver. For real.

Lacey said...

Seriously I was rolling on the floor laughing reading your story!! Cutting bangs is truly a pain in the rear even if you ARE a professional hair dresser. I believe Tom deserves an I told you so and perhaps you should botch his hair up something awful and see how he likes it!! Who's the monkey-retard now?!?
Also I LOVED your baby daddy story..Hilarious!! What did he really expect you to say to that? "No she doesn't have a baby daddy, you want the job?" Puhlease.Don't waste our time, impala driver. For real.

Ashleigh and Zebb said...

monkey retard eh? too bad you guys live across the country cuz then you could just leave it up to the professionals...aka Riley and myself...