Monday, October 8, 2007

Dana White and the UFC come to Jesrsey!


I am a Ultimate Fighting fan! Actually, both Tom and I are fans. We love to watch the reality show and tune in for all the fights. I have a slight crush on the President of the UFC, Dana White. It's not like he's really good looking, he can't even claim to have a fighters body, he's just a slightly middle aged man with really good fashion sense. The only thing I can liken this crush to is my long standing crush on Jean-Luc Picard Capitan of the Enterprise. I know it's totally weird! I think Dana is a genius who has managed to bring a little know sport out of obscurity and into the main stream. It's my opinion that Mixed Martial arts is going to over take Boxing. Who wants to watch boxing anyway? It's a totally unintelligent sport! It's not like MMA, they have it all, wrestling, submissions, martial arts, striking, the list goes on. I know a lot of people think it's a brutal sport, where "anything goes". That is simply not true, there are rules, and I think it's more civilized than boxing. If a fighter is unable to intelligently defend himself the fight gets stopped.

UFC headquarters is in Las Vegas, Nevada. Rarely do the fights venture out east. Tom and I have discussed this at length and made the decision if there was ever a fight scheduled out east we would make the effort to go. I've dreamed about going to a live fight, even thought out what I would wear. I haven't come up with what my attire would be yet, as this is a crucial decision. I can't be slutty, and wear the usual "groupie" attire, of halter tops, and tube tops, so I have to come up with something just as flashy yet not slutty(in case I make it on t.v) . This is harder than it sounds...but that is so besides the point. Tom came home from Priesthood Session Saturday and announced that our long awaited dreams were about to come true! UFC was coming out east! Not only were they coming out east, they were going to be fighting in Newark, New Jersey! That's Haylie's birth city! Finally something to be proud of!

We immediately started looking for tickets. This is where it gets sad and depressing. Although tickets had just gone on sale that very morning, they no longer had any affordable tickets left. Unless you think 203.00 per ticket is affordable! The odds of getting two tickets are about the same as Tom and I buying a car. We entertained the idea of spending the money, we figured we could give up our Tom and Jenny's Days gifts to go to the fight. We went to bed that night firmly decided that we were going to go "No matter the price". The next morning dawned bright, and muggy and harsh reality set in. We knew in our hearts we weren't really going to be able to go after all. The dream is dying as I type. I think of the fights I wanted to see and a tear slides down my cheek. We haven't talked about it much since, I think we are both in denial. It's okay though, just like JSP (Saint-Pierre) will come back and beat the New York Crap attitude out of Matt "the terror" Serra, Tom and I will eventually make our dreams come true too!

P.S. I challenge you all to watch the reality show. It's on Spike T.V. and it's well worth the time. In case you were wondering Haylie is showing her disappointment that we will not attend the UFC inNewark.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the new wallpaper. Your crush on Jean-Luc Picard is totally normal. I'm confused and disturbed about this interest you have in bloodsports. I have access to Newark recipes if you are interested in celebrating Haylie's birthplace in more positive ways. Love you! Rhiannon

Elise said...

I hate to see dreams die! Have you looked at a second party source like stubhub? People tend to snatch up tickets from ticketmaster and then re-sell them there. I want you to go just so I can see pictures of what you decided to wear!

Jenny said...

Thank you Elise for caring almost as much as I do about what I would wear to this event (and for the stubhub tip). Maybe I will go as a UFC "Groupie" for the Halloween party. That way everyone can enjoy my outfit in person!

Dawnell said...

I'm sorry your dream has been crushed. I'm not a huge UFC fan, but I'm relating it to what I'd feel like if I couldn't go to a World's Strongest Man competition. It's a terrible feeling. I hope you get over this tragedy.

blah, blah by lindsey said...

i will admit it... we love ufc! how can you not?

[dene'] said...

UFC huh...since when? Is this a NEW love or have you had it in you ALL along? I had NO IDEA. Cool!

Rhett, Angie, and Rion said...

Finally!! We found people who like UFC! Rhett and his family love them. They always get together and buy the fights. We will have to have a fight night party!!