Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Slum Lord

When we moved into our apartment over a year ago I noticed that it had a funky smell, "moldy" if you will. I have always been a little bit worried about this smell, but chose to ignore it because so many other things were going on with the place that were more obvious, like a gas leak or mice (we have killed seven so far, and one ran across the floor two days ago while I was changing Haylie). After the "Flood" in August we decided that we really needed to get the smell checked out. We called a Mold Testing place. The came out and for a mere $375.00 checked the air in our place.

Last Thursday we received the test results. I wasn't totally surprised to find that we did have high levels of toxic mold in the place. The results claim 87% Aspergillius in our place. We gave a copy of the report to our Landlords who live upstairs. On Friday I was checking the mail and who should I see but our Landlady. She then proceeded to inform me that we have to move out. She said that they were going to have to tear out walls etc. It's my opinion that they just want us out. When we are out I assume they are going to rent the place to some unsuspecting new person!

Since then we have been looking for apartments, which is a NIGHTMARE out here! We found one that we really liked. In the meantime we received a letter in writing from the landlord terminating our lease.

Today I see the Landlady again and she informs me that we owe another months Rent plus we need to give her two weeks notice so as not to "leave her hanging". Is she on Drugs?! SHE terminated the lease, not us. They are the landlords and need to take care of the toxic mold, not us. SHE informed us that we needed to vacated the premises since the place is a health hazard . Now SHE thinks we are going to pay another months Rent and give two weeks notice!

I am intensely angry about the situation. Not angry about the new place we found as it is newly renovated and closer to the PATH. We are just waiting to hear back from the Broker to make sure everything is shipshape! Cross your fingers for us!

4 comments:

BreAnna said...

WHAT!!! I am angry for you, that is crazy!! I am sorry you have to move, but it seems like the new place will be great! Where is it? I hope it works out, please keep us posted on it. and if you need help moving, we dont own a car but both own two very helpful arms! She is nuts! I think she should even reimburse you for the mold check!

Alicia said...

I CANNOT believe it!!! You should seriously get your money back for the mold check, should NOT pay for another month's rent, and I think if they haven't taken care of the mouse problem you can actually get BACK rent - you should talk to Brittany Turley or e-mail her, she knows some stuff about this. Good luck!! I'm glad the new place is good!

Jodiane said...

I love your story for a few reasons. A) I have seen that apartment and sort of helped with the decsion making process. B) I have met that land lady and I am smiling. C) Jersey jenny, you were scared of it, you embraced it, and now Jersey is saying, we got mold but you still gotta pay. I am lauging. i love you girl.

jodi

Sheena Larkin said...

Wow!! I agree with all of the above ... that is rediculous. I'll keep me fingers crossed for you. Good Luck!