Monday, June 18, 2007

Designer Jeans or Designer Formula?


I love this picture! If you look closely you can see that her hair is plastered to her head with sweat! We had just walked home from the Pharmacy. We have the pleasure of purchasing designer baby formula. At least that's what I'm going to call it because it is so expensive. When I say expensive I mean like 50 bucks a can (that last about two days). Yes indeed feeding Haylie costs more than my designer jeans!
You know it serves me right that I have to feed my baby formula! I remember at a fireside when I was in YW. A story was told (about the importance of tithing) about a young married couple at BYU. As many young marrieds are they were quite poor. They had just had their first baby. So the story goes...at the end of the month the couple had no money...they could either pay their tithing or they could buy formula for their baby. Being the self righteous 15 year old I was, I turned to my friend and cynically said "haven't they ever heard of breastmilk?". I didn't feel any sympathy for this young couple at all! Because they paid their tithing everything worked out...which is great for them..however I am now forced to be a bit more humble and recognize that things don't always work out as planned and sometimes you HAVE to buy that formula! I was pretty sure I was going to have an ugly baby as well, because I've made fun of so many other babies that I thought were homely. Luckily God didn't stick it to me with that one...so far Haylie is cute (at least I think so, who knows what people say behind my back)!
Moral of this story is don't judge or maybe don't be such a know-it-all 15 year old.

7 comments:

BreAnna said...

Wow that is so crazy, I hope you guys can qualify for WIC, that will save you so much money! And that is what it is for, to help out those of us who are strapped with student loans at the moment but will be paying out the other end in taxes in only a few years.

Jenny said...

I actually just talked to my sister in law who is on WIC. She told me she has seven pounds of cheese in her fridge right now! I was laughing so hard. How can two people eat seven pounds of cheese in a month?

blah, blah by lindsey said...

WIC is the best. I don't know how I served my first 2 kids without it. I know it means waiting in some gross office for who knows how long but it worth it especially if your baby has to have the expensive stuff.

BreAnna said...

Jenny it was so fun to see you at book club tonight, as usually you both looked like models, really you make me sort of sick with how beautiful you always look. Sorry you had to leave early, we missed you!

Tammie said...

YEah, you always were a know it all, didn't matter how old you were! No wonder we never got along as kids/teenagers! Maybe it's because I really did know it all and you just thought you did!!!

Crazymamaof6 said...

do it, do it do it! I am so on the WIC bandwagon! i cruised that life for 5 years while my hubby was in school, and i am so glad to done, but it served it's purpose, and we pay heavily into the tax system! love wic! love food stamps! love medicaid! love the welfare system! and if we don't use it? who is gonna? illegals!

Dawnell said...

I'm sorry your baby has to have Girbaud formula. I'm not sure if WIC is for you because if she's allergic to milk living off of seven pounds of cheese is not going to help out her little stomach. But maybe you could build her a playhouse out of all the cheese blocks...